Sunday, May 17, 2009

He did it!

About 5 years ago Shane and I were talking in bed before we fell asleep one night. We chatted about the future and he mentioned that he still thought about law school every once in a while. Before that night I never really knew he was serious about it. I told him that if he really wanted to go to law school then I wanted him to go as soon as he could. I told him that I didn't want him to look back 10 years down the road and regret that he never went and possibly resent me for it. Before we knew it he was applying for school, getting accepted and then starting class.

Back then when people would ask when he would finish and he would say "spring 2009" I wanted to puke. It seemed so incredibly far away. So unreachable. Last Thursday that day finally came!

He put on his robe and hat, we all got dressed up, and we watched him walk across the stage and get "hooded". It was pretty surreal.

IMG_4767

I've never known anyone to work so hard. To go above and beyond not just at school, but at work as well and then still manage to make time to be a wonderful husband and father. He might kill me for saying this, but he was within the top 10% of his class all throughout school. May I just mention that he did it without ever having a laptop computer? I'm serious. Shane did it old school style with paper and a pen to take notes. Um, how did we end up together again? I am not a school person. Opposites do attract. Paula Abdul is so wise.

I'm not sure we have one recent picture of the three of us where we are all looking at the camera.

IMG_4835

On Friday night I surprised Shane with a big party to celebrate. For about a year I had been tucking a little bit of money away here and there from my business account so that he wouldn't notice. It was so fun to see it finally all come together. I rented a room at Soulard Coffee Garden near our house and got all of Shane's favorite people and favorite food in one room. He was really surprised and excited and grateful.

Our best friends Sarah and Chad came in from Colorado to celebrate with us. Sarah pretty much saved the party by helping me with just about everything. As did Beth and my family and other friends. Trying to throw a big party after just getting back in town = lots of help.

I took approximately 3 pictures. I hate it when I do that. I was just busy hosting and having fun and I kind of forgot to document it. So, you'll just have to trust me. It was awesome.

IMG_4840

IMG_4839

This is the pretty pathetic poster I made. Proof that I am NOT CRAFTY. It is only a myth people. I promise.

IMG_4845

So, there you have it. One huge stage of our life is over and done. Now... on to the bar. Studying starts next week. Uh...lets not talk about it.

Tomorrow... a wedding sneak peek.

7 comments:

myra said...

yay shaner! congratulations to you all.

Jimmy Armstrong said...

Very cool! Congrads Shane...sorry we couldn't be there. Shane is all grownz upz.

Jimmy

Amy R. said...

The party was so fun! You did a great job, Erin. Looking forward to some Saturday playdates soon!

Anonymous said...

What a huge accomplishment. Congrats to Shane!!

Anne said...

I love being able to read about your family and what is happening to you all. My heartiest congrats to Shane and to you! Brad will be starting down a similar path soon as he is going to start seminary while working his job full-time. YOU know how to pray for them! BTW- the photo of the three of you is precious and you Erin, look marvelous!

Sara D. said...

Congratulations! This is a big milestone for your entire family!! Glad you got some fun in, before it's back to business studying!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for all three of you! I know the Bar Exam is one scary monster, but you can do it! (And by you I mean your entire family--it takes a village, you know.) Enjoy the moment! Linda